I’ve found I tend to get excited about oddly specific (and admittedly sometimes just odd) things; not quite phases, more like a recurring orbit. Hard bop. Rorquals. American wheat beer. Tradition hops.
Tradition was bred at Germany’s Hüll Hop Research Center for a noble aromatic profile but with improved resistance to disease and fungus vs. the landrace varieties; its parentage is predominantly Hallertau Mittelfrüh, with Saaz and Hallertau Gold in on the horticultural action. I always get a mix of typically Hallertau-ish sweetness with earthy, herbal pungence out of Tradition cones – hay, sweetgrass, basil, clover honey. Its low cohumulone and high humulene content (35-50% of total oils) makes it a good late addition hop; its higher-than-landrace-varieties alpha acid level (6.5% on my bag) makes it good for bittering these restrained Bavarian lagers. I like to split the difference and use it during wort collection for first wort hop additions.
Having just come into a big pound of whole Tradition, and a full sack of Weyermann Munich I, it can only be Dunkel time.
Schloß Wolfenstein Alte Hundchen Dunkel
Target OG: 1.052
- 85% Weyermann Munich I
- 5% CaraFoam
- 5% Melanoidin
- 2.5% CaraAroma
- 2.5% CaraFa III
- Main mash: strike @ 136F, rest for 20′
- Decoction 1: pull thick mash portion – rest at 150F for one espresso, 160F for another espresso, then boil for 20′ and return to main mash
- Main mash: 150F for 30′
- Decoction 2: pull thick mash portion – rest at 160F for approximately one half of a Teutonic-Gaelic hot scotchy, then boil for 20′ and return to main mash
- Main mash: 160F for 20′
- Main mash: mashout at 170F for 10′
- Tradition (6.5% aa, whole) @ first wort hop to 25 IBU
- Cool wort to 42-44F, O2, and pitch with some second-gen Bavarian lager yeast; let rise to 52-54F over 48 hours, for remainder of primary
- As of Day 12, it’s a point or two above TG, diacetyl negative, and already pretty bright – gonna give it just a bit more settling time, then keg and carb for super-fresh, Kellerbier-style outdoor Maßkrüge action while spring is still figuring out how to get properly underway.